Thursday, May 2, 2013

Negative Command

This week I heard a sports announcer say, "You can't obey a negative command." He said it in the context of an athlete saying, "I can't miss this free throw," or "I can't fail," in some way. He said this a self-defeating practice. Have you ever tried the exercise in which someone says, "Don't think about a big plate of spaghetti," or "Don't think about a pink pig." Yes, we all know that when we entertain images, it's almost impossible NOT to think about them.

I know when I have negative thoughts, I don't like that irritable feeling. I'm uncomfortable, and tell myself, "Don't think about that." Well, I have found out first hand that I cannot obey a negative command.

And so, what is the solution? I must replace the unwanted thoughts with positive ones. Of course, God's Word is best thing to put into my head, or maybe Godly music. But you know, a distraction of any kind can help. Especially something that requires mental concentration.

1 comment:

Crosimoto said...

That one leaves you with such a good and 'inspired' feeling. Thanks!