Monday, November 12, 2007

Communication

When is communication not communication? Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone who wouldn't or couldn't listen or respond? I have, and I ran out of steam quickly! By definition communication requires at least two people. Perhaps this is the reason that we don't pray effectively--we don't let God respond, and we don't listen. I find it difficult to pray apart from Bible reading. My system is not perfect, but I keep trying! I begin my time with the Lord by "praying through a passage." You can begin anywhere. For example, say I am going to read through Paul's epistles. I begin reading Romans 1:1 "Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ,..." I am immediately convicted that I am a poor excuse for a servant. I confess this and ask God to make me a better, more faithful servant. I keep reading as long as I have time. Each time something strikes me, I pray about it. As I read, the Holy Spirit reminds me of random things I need to pray about. This is God speaking to me, my listening, and my responding back. It is real communication. Today if I read three chapters of Romans, tomorrow I will begin with Romans 4. If I miss a day or more, I don't try to catch up. I just begin at Romans 4 the next time. If you are one who must pray on the run, it will be harder but not impossible. You will have to take God's Word with you in some way. You could listen on a CD, read when you are at a red light or sitting in traffic, or call to memory passages that you have memorized. No reading while driving--Mom doesn't allow that!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Most of us wished we had a better communication with God. Though prayer is essential in communicating with Him and listening in understanding Him, the importance of being daily in His Word (I am guilty of not being consistent in reading) helps us to fall in love with Him. If you have ever done an inductive Bible Study - they will teach you to first pray, then observe, interpret, apply and finally transform! So, are you desperate? Be desperate for His Word - it will transform you! I wished I had your consistency in my walk with God, Barbara.

Lucky Dixon said...

Great Post!

No doubt we need to hear more from Him than we hear of ourselves.

Thanks for the reminder.