Monday, January 7, 2008

Is It Morning Yet?

Are you a morning person? A night person? Experts in chronobiology, the science of body time, tell us that the body clock is a real phenomenon. We didn't need chronobiologists to tell us that now did we? I happen to be a morning person. I feel better; I have more energy; my mental outlook is brighter; I get so much done in the morning. When I was teaching, I could do a half day's work before leaving for school! I still arise early though it really isn't necessary. I know, I know...this is annoying beyond words to you night people out there. You are, for all practical purposes, unconscious until about 11:00 am. You secretly despise the cheery early birds. Your energy level builds throughout the day, and you are at peak performance at 9:00 pm when we morning people are dozing on the couch!

Psalm 5:3 says "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up." Does this mean that God favors hearing from us in the "morning"? Maybe God is a "morning person"! No, no, no. That cannot be. Did you know that according to www.webexhibits. org, the Jewish calendar day begins at sunset or when three medium-sized stars become visible? You could go by Jewish time, and 10:00 pm would be REALLY early, perhaps comparable to 4:00 am, Gentile Standard Time! Or you could think of it this way, whenever you best spend your time with the Lord is morning somewhere. It is morning to God when He hears your voice, you are directing your prayer to him, and you are looking up expectantly to hear from Him. The point is not the time of day. Just do it. God is always ready for you to begin your "day" with Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
I really enjoy stopping by and reading your posts. Your wisdom and insight are as much apparent in your subject matter as well as the flow of your words. Keep up the good work and the Good Fight.

--Cros