Sunday, February 6, 2011

Random Thoughts

“Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.”

- Pablo Picasso

(via JamesNord) (via www.swiss-miss.com)

I'm afraid Picasso was right. I'm sure his inspiration involved more that forming the painting in his head! He had to pick up the paint brush, right? Well, I'm picking up this paintbrush for the first time since January 2008!

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. Talk about a made-up holiday! The country turns its collective attention to this contest. Now I admit that I am not a football fan. I don't understand the game, and each game takes way too long! But at the same time, I try to be tolerant of those who love it.

Sports has many positive qualities. I suppose fitness is the most important. And we can also learn discipline, teamwork, sportsmanship, etc. It can be a positive way to relax and spend leisure time. But the honest among us has to admit to some negatives too. The question that comes my mind today is this, "I wonder how many young people have been ruined by sports?" Often gifted young players receive far too much attention for something that has little to do with their character. The newspapers carry pictures and speak of an athlete's "high school career." High school career? School should BE his career! Anyway, going on. The college campuses recruit young players, and the signing makes sports headlines. The college sets aside certain housing arrangements and feeds the athletes special meals. They are treated like royalty. Sportscasters speculate on choices for the pros. With the pros comes rock-star status! No wonder these athletes come to think they are something special because they can throw a ball!

Saddest of all are the millions of young people whose major goal in life is to play in the NBA or the NFL or the NHL or MLB. (Did I get the acronyms right?) Why study or prepare for anything else? We all know how few actually play college or professional sports. In fact, most of us don't know even one professional athlete! I know I don't.

So let's have fun with sports! Take advantage of everything that is good about them. But let's teach our young people to keep their lives in balance. So many things in life are more important than athletics: God, family, education, and career to name a few.

The Bible offers good advice when Paul said in 1 Tim. 4:8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

1 comment:

Crosimoto said...

Very nice Barbara. Glad to see you back in the saddle.