Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Do It Now

A friend died last week. Actually, I have to say she was a casual friend--someone who came to church occasionally, called occasionally, and with whom I had socialized only rarely. But anyway, the thing that caught my attention was that she was born in 1946--the same year as Laura Bush, George Bush, Bill Clinton and...Barbara Creed! Yikes!

When someone your own age dies, it's a wake-up call, and I know it will happen more and more as the years pass. What am I waking up to? For one thing, the next to go just might be me, and whatever I want to accomplish in this life, I had better do it now!

It seems that we never really feel that our own death is imminent. I know I don't. I always feel that I have lots of time. I always have hope that I will accomplish things in the future. I think that, for the most part, this is healthy. It's not healthy to think that time is unlimited, but it is healthy to make plans for the future. A mature person will rightly believe that he or she has much to live for.

I have much to live for, and so do you. Now let's get started!

No comments: