Friday, August 3, 2012

Thoughts on High School


Thoughts on High School

July 6, 2012

Too bad we can’t see our school years, particularly those of high school, for what they are while we are going through them. I have often said that education is wasted on the young. When we are children, we are too immature to realize how interesting as well as important school subjects can be, and to be honest, we are naturally lazy! But what I was thinking about recently is that during our school years we are also immature socially. Let’s face it; we are not at our best when we are 16! In fact, we may be at our worst. It is an awkward stage; we are plagued with worries about how we appear to others; we are socially clumsy and maybe physically too. We are overly sensitive about the language and body language of others. Our flaws are exaggerated in our own eyes, and unfortunately, we may take our insecure frustrations out on others. I know I am not proud of all my memories of my own childhood actions. I wish I had been less concerned about what others thought of me and tried harder to make others feel accepted. Maybe this is why high school reunions are so pleasant. We see that most of us turned out OK! Maybe we didn’t succeed or fail the way our high school peers thought we would, but for the most part, I think we turned out to be pretty responsible adults!

1 comment:

Crosimoto said...

So glad I visited your blog today. I find myself inspired and I simply love reading your writing. I'm going to let Kiara read this post as well. Such wisdom needs to be passed along (even though most of the young'ns can't grasp the fullness of it)